Friday, November 8, 2013

Appearances

Appearances 

Mike and I have watched people transfer kids, carseats, and bags on Friday evenings at the gas station near our house. It seems to be a neutral meeting place for divorced parents. I remember Mike commenting one time, "I bet that's really hard." Sometimes you people-watch and wonder about their circumstances. Sometimes you are thankful their situations are not yours. 
     I did the baby swap tonight at a very busy fast food restaurant. Being a people-watcher I understood  when the lady sitting beside us watched carefully trying to figure out  what was going on. V brought lots of attention to us as she babbled da da da da dad-dy! as I whispered in her ear,"Sit still and let's watch for daddy." Her dad came in and immediately began apologizing for being late. I explained it was not a big deal at all. I began to tell him about her medication and the diapers and wipes I packed for him. Then I said, "This is my other son Luke," to which Luke responded, "Nice to meet you." It's then that I started to really feel the lady's stares. I continued to give directions to V's dad. Each time he said, "Yes, m'am." Then I said, "Call me if you need anything. Y'all have a good time." He said, "Yes m'am. Thank you. I'll be on time Sunday. I'm so sorry about that." I almost starting laughing. The lady had to be lost at this point. 
     But my favorite part of the night was when I was standing at the car trying to put V's shoes on. Grace realized that we were blocking the people parked next to us from getting into their car. I apologized and explained V would not leave her shoes on. We are constantly having to put them back on. 
Later, Luke said, "Mom, I bet I know what those people were thinking." 
I totally expected him to say, "Look at those nice people trying to help that man and his little girl." 
Instead my sweet Luke said, "I bet they thought, 'That lady is way too old to still be having babies." 

Ugh. Kids will always help you with that pride issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment