Sunday, May 11, 2014

On Mother's Day

    Mother's Day is always bitter sweet for me. I am always so thankful for my 3 babies and my mother-in-law I love dearly. But of course, I think of my momma. I miss her terribly. How I wish she was here to walk this road with me. She would have fallen deeply in love with each of these babies. She would have been someone who "got" why we're doing this. Not many people do. She certainly softened my heart to see the needs around me as I grew up. For years, she thought about foster care. Then one day out of the blue she said yes to taking in a teenage mom with twin babies. We helped the girl move out of the home she was in. She moved everything she and her babies owned in big, black garbage bags. As the girl packed the car, my mom and I paused in the empty bedroom. I said, "I wonder how many times she's done this." I knew it had been many. Mom and I choked back tears. My heart was forever changed that day.
    We took Cheeks to visit with her brother Friday night at McDonalds. They were so excited to see each other. He said he hadn't seen his sister in forever! And he thought it had been a really long time since he had seen Grace (they've never met..ever). While they were playing, brother was trying to get my attention. Because he didn't know my name he called, "Hey (Cheek's) mom." It took my breath away. Grace's eyes met mine.
    The visit was great. The kids were so happy, and I enjoyed talking to brother's aunt. When we got in the car and drove away, Grace said, "That was so sad," and started sobbing. I so love that girl's heart. It's likely brother and sister will never again live under the same roof.
Please join us in praying for our baby girl, her brother, all the judges, lawyers, and social workers making decisions about her little life, her daddy, grandparents, and especially her mommy on Mother's Day.

Pray for me... as I miss my mom...as I love my kids...as I share a boy with his momma...as I stand in for Cheek's mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment