Thursday, April 17, 2014

What My Kids Have Taught Me About God part 3

Why do you not want to spend your Saturday helping our church with this task? You are suppose to think of others, give your time, and not be selfish. God will bless you for it, sweet one.
You don't want to give a little bit of that money you saved? Always be willing to give your money to support a mission. Show love to people and support spreading the gospel. Why are you being selfish?
If I "grow" (or kick, drag, push, or yank) my children to become more like Christ will they be more like Him? Is this something I can accomplish?

God has been showing me that he is not in love with a future version of who I'm trying to mold my kids to be. He loves them just the way they are. Sanctification is a lifelong process, so that must mean it's not going to be finished in the 18 years I've got with my kids. My kids can't understand spiritual things the way I can....well I guess not. I've been a Christian 27 years. My kids- 2 years, 3 years, and 8 years. I am just a few feet down this long road of sanctification. It's going to take my kids a minute to get there. My job is to teach them the word and to intercede for them in continuous prayer as they walk this road. Then I think of these strangers I have started to walk with. Most of these birth families are not even on this path. They are stuck in the thorns of deception tangled up with the controlling enemy.

My kids are the easiest people on earth for me to love. Parents get that. It's an unconditional love that you don't have for anyone else. I think birth families then might be the hardest people on earth to love. They have hurt a child you love. So if  accepting and helping my kids where they are right now while hoping and praying they continue to grow is this stressful, how much harder is it for me to do that for strangers? Strangers that I have a pretty good reason to not even like. It's HARD. It's impossible for me alone, but not impossible with the Holy Spirit. I would like to give up on them. They deserve it, but thank God because of Jesus he doesn't give me what I deserve. He's not in love with who I want to be. He's in love with me. He's in love with the birth families I am walking with. He loved them so much he gave his life for them....not a better or future version of them. Then can I love them right now? Will DHR push and pull them into a better life or should I pray for their salvation? Can anyone make them be a better parent or will they need a renewed heart and mind? Can I forgive them? Can I pray for them to learn to parent better? Will I watch them mess it up terribly and still cheer them on? Am I willing to give them the time to grow? Or will I give up too soon? Will I love and protect their child until they're ready and not lose hope that one day they will be ready?


A servant of The Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps, God will change those people's hearts, and they will learn the truth. Then they will come to their senses and escape the devil's trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.

2 Timothy 2:24-26

No comments:

Post a Comment