Saturday, April 12, 2014

What My Kids Have Taught Me About God part 1

My oldest son had terrible colic. He cried from stomach pain for the first 4 months of his life. On top of that for the first couple months, he had his days and nights mixed up. I remember rocking him many nights with tears flowing down my face from exhaustion as he cried for hours at a time. He slept in short spurts it seemed. It was overwhelming. Was I angry at my newborn? Of course not, he is my son. I know crying is just what babies do. I love him with everything in me, because he is mine.

I struggle with thinking I should be farther into sanctification than I am. I am angry when I recognize a sin and can't immediately lay it down and walk away. I begin to think that God is disappointed with my progress. I think if I can work on this certain thing more I can please Him. This way of thinking doesn't bring me closer to God. It makes me feel like I need to go away and come back when I've got it right. That is how I know it's a lie.

God looks at me how I looked at my newborn. There was nothing that precious boy could have done that would have made me love him less. I was crazy about him just because he was mine. Does sin make God angry? Yes, it does. Is God angry at me? Is there anything I could do to make him love me more? love me less? No. He knows sin is just what humans do. He loves me with everything in Him, because I am His.

But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God’s sight by the blood of Christ, he will certainly save us from God’s condemnation. For since our friendship with God was restored by the death of his Son while we were still his enemies, we will certainly be saved through the life of his Son. So now we can rejoice in our wonderful new relationship with God because our Lord Jesus Christ has made us friends of God.

 Romans 5:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment